Part-Time Education and Visitor Services Specialist
Job announcement: Part-time education and visitor services specialist at Hardware Ranch WMA
The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources has two positions open at the Hardware Ranch Wildlife Management Area (WMA) for part-time education and visitor services specialists. The application deadline is Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2019 at 5 p.m., and the pay is $12.77 per hour.
Successful applicants will begin working as soon as possible and start no later than Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2019. There are very specific days you must be available to work if you’re interested in this position. Before you apply, please review those dates in the “Part-time work schedule” section below.
Duties, skills and experience
Once hired, the specialists will conduct outdoor field trips in the fall and spring for Cache, Logan and Box Elder school districts. Those field trips will be held at Hardware Ranch WMA, in Logan Canyon and at the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge. The specialists will also be responsible for all visitor services during the winter sleigh ride season at the Hardware Ranch WMA visitor center.
- Teaching field trip activities up to 6 hours per day.
- Performing all aspects of classroom management.
- Working with teachers to provide a safe outdoor learning environment.
- Staffing the front desk of busy visitor center.
- Selling sleigh ride tickets, operating the cash register, handling cash, making change and performing daily cash reconciliation.
- Answering phones and returning phone calls.
- Interacting in person with visitors, answering questions and occasionally providing interpretation for sleigh rides.
- Completing nightly cleaning tasks.
Skills and experience required:
- A basic understanding of wildlife, wildlife biology and education.
- The ability to read and interpret lesson plans and translate those into fun, engaging field trip activities for fourth grade students.
- An understanding of outdoor classroom management and instructional methods.
- The ability to work with classroom teachers to provide quality hands-on outdoor instruction.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in front-desk management and cash register ticket sales.
- The ability to troubleshoot, think quickly on your feet and stay organized.
- The ability to count, use a calculator, find accounting errors and account for all cash handled accurately and quickly.
Important: Preference will be given to those with experience or college courses in education, environmental education, natural resources or a related natural resource field.
Part-time work schedule
This position is part time and intermittent with the potential for rehiring next year. Applicants must be available to work all Fridays from December 2019 to February 2020. (This is negotiable, depending on candidates’ qualifications.) The schedule also requires you to work the following days:
- September: 3-6, 9-13, 16-20, 30 and other days in Sept TBD (at least 3)
- October: 2-4, 7-11, 14-18, 21-25, 28-31
- November: 1, 4-8 and other days in November (limited and TBD)
- December: 4-8, 13-15, 20-21, 27-29
- January: 3-5, 10-12, 17-19, 24-26, 31
- February: 1-2, 7-9, 14-16, 21-23
- March: 30-31 and other days in March (limited and TBD)
- April: 1-3, 6-10, 13-17, 20-24, 27-30
- May: 1 and other days in May (limited and TBD)
Hardware Ranch is a 30-minute drive from the town of Hyrum, up Blacksmith Fork Canyon. Winter-weather and wildlife driving conditions exist. Carpool opportunities may be available on some days, but not all days. Work is a combination of indoor and outdoor tasks, in all weather conditions.