Full-Time Lab Technician III
The Utah State University (USU) Sustainable Electrified Transportation Center (SELECT) has an immediate opening for a Lab Technician III to support and coordinate lab operational tasks and to support the safe execution of experiments in the lab. The position requires a high level of organizational and practical laboratory skills and an aptitude for working with electrical and mechanical hardware systems.
The position provides exciting opportunities for mentoring and supporting students and working with faculty, engineering staff, and industry partners in the development of cutting edge technologies to advance charging systems and infrastructure for electric vehicles. Laboratories include the Electric Vehicle and Roadway (EVR) Research Facility and Test Track, Battery Limits and Survivability Test (BLAST) Lab, and the Power Electronics Lab.
Research projects in the labs support the development of sustainable solutions for transportation electrification. Research activities in the labs include retrofit of electric vehicles for high power and wireless charging, on-vehicle and grid-connected battery systems, concrete and asphalt pavement slab fabrication and integration with EV charging and electric distribution hardware, mechanical and structural design of charging systems, and lab testing of charging equipment up to medium voltage and megawatt power. Facilities at the EVER include a quarter mile electrified test track, microgrid with 128 kW solar array, 100 kWh energy storage, and real-time hardware in the loop simulation capability, a high bay research facility with 750 kW utility service, vehicle lift and vehicle dyno, and bidirectional AC and DC power supply and battery system testing equipment.
Four years of related laboratory, vehicle, or technical trade work experience; or an associate degree plus two years of related experience; or a bachelor’s degree; or an equivalent combination of education plus experience is required.
- Knowledge and previous experience with electrical testing equipment, power supplies, and/or vehicles.
- Mechanical aptitude to fabricate experimental test setups and provide support to bench-top, vehicle, and test track related projects.
- Ability to follow verbal or written instructions.
- Ability to maintain quality and safety standards.
- Skilled in providing guidance and instruction in laboratory procedures/protocols and in the safe use of equipment.
- Knowledge of experimental procedures and documentation protocols and techniques.
- Knowledge of related accreditation and certification requirements.
- Ability to set up, calibrate, operate, and maintain power laboratory and test equipment.
- Ability to maintain detailed records.
- Computer skills including, spreadsheet and word-processing programs.
- Able to receive certification to operate fork lift and receive a commercial driver’s license to perform job responsibilities.
Salary is up to $45,000 and includes excellent benefits. Advancement opportunities are available toward Lab Technician Senior and Lab Manager based on performance and lab growth.